We’ve already shown you where to find cute socks but why not go the extra mile and make your shoes look kawaii too! You can transform any pair of sneakers or trainers with shoelace styling, patterned laces and charms. First I’ll show you how to do kawaii shoelace styling.
You’ve probably only been doing up your shoelaces in one of two styles: straight lacing or criss cross. I was amazed to discover there are loads of different fun ways to tie your laces! Here’s a few video tutorials and you can search ‘shoelace styling’ to find more.
They range from pretty simple to horribly complicated but my favourite one is really easy, looks cool and is also very comfortable!
Shoelace Styling Tutorial
I’ve made a photo tutorial so you can try some kawaii shoelace styling too. My shoes are Hello Kitty x Converse.
1. The first step is to put your shoelace UNDERNEATH the tongue then thread each of the laces through the second hole up.
2. Thread the lace into the hole directly below on the same side. Do this on both sides.
3. Bring the lace over to the opposite side and thread into the next free hole up. Do this on both sides so they are crossed over the tongue.
4. The lace then needs to go into the hole below where there is already a lace coming out. This will cover up the gap between the holes.
Do this both sides and it should look like this.
5. Cross the laces over to the opposite side again and thread into the next free hole up. Do this both sides.
6. Again, thread the laces into the hole below in the same side then cross over.
7. Repeat this until you reach the last hole. Then either tie the laces in a bow if they are long enough or knot them behind the tongue for a tidier look.
Let us know if you try it! I’ll share some cute laces and accessory ideas next time.
Nicolette is the sister of Marceline and is also totally obsessed with everything kawaii! She enjoys crafting with felt, dressing up in cute outfits, playing Animal Crossing and eating cake.